2012年3月25日星期日

BCP unility and SQL Server Management Studio Express

I ahve a utility which uses the bulk copy untility (or program) bcp.exe
which doesn't seem to be part of SQL Server Management Studio Express. I
don't need a database server on that machine but I do want the bcp.exe
program. How can I get this?
Many thanks for any help in advance!
Peter (peteATkapiti.co.nz) writes:
> I ahve a utility which uses the bulk copy untility (or program) bcp.exe
> which doesn't seem to be part of SQL Server Management Studio Express. I
> don't need a database server on that machine but I do want the bcp.exe
> program. How can I get this?
BCP comes with SQL Express. I don't remember off-hand if SQL Express
offers a client-only install, but you could try running the install and
see if you get that offer. Just make sure press all Advanced buttons
you see.
I guess you also could cull it from a an existing installation. You
would have to install SQL Native Client (which is available as a separate
install), but if you are lucky that maybe all. (Or have I seen a
BCP.rll somewhere?)
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se
Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx
|||I had to install the SQL Express Toolkit to get bcp.exe.
But I now have a really strange situation I wonder if anyone can answer...
Just installed on Vista Ultimate.
At first I couldn't find BCP in what I thought should be an expected
directory (A bin directory in the SQL Express folder tree).
Instead, after doing a Vista "Search" on the entire SQL Server tree, it's
supposed to be in
...\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools
But, when I browsed to that location, there are no files, just folders.
Re-launched Explorer to run "As Administrator" (which itself is an irritant)
in case files were hidden, but not so.
Started manually opening up folders and I found it in the same folder as
bcp.rll
...\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn
Why the weirdness? This is the first time I've run a Microsoft OS Search for
over 15 years on anything which returned bad results like this.
Tony Su
www.su-networking.com
ISA
SBS
Enterprise Mobile Solutions Architect
"Erland Sommarskog" wrote:

> Peter (peteATkapiti.co.nz) writes:
> BCP comes with SQL Express. I don't remember off-hand if SQL Express
> offers a client-only install, but you could try running the install and
> see if you get that offer. Just make sure press all Advanced buttons
> you see.
> I guess you also could cull it from a an existing installation. You
> would have to install SQL Native Client (which is available as a separate
> install), but if you are lucky that maybe all. (Or have I seen a
> BCP.rll somewhere?)
>
> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se
> Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx
> Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx
>
|||Tony Su (TonySu@.discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> I had to install the SQL Express Toolkit to get bcp.exe.
> But I now have a really strange situation I wonder if anyone can answer...
> Just installed on Vista Ultimate.
> At first I couldn't find BCP in what I thought should be an expected
> directory (A bin directory in the SQL Express folder tree).
> Instead, after doing a Vista "Search" on the entire SQL Server tree, it's
> supposed to be in
> ..\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools
> But, when I browsed to that location, there are no files, just folders.
> Re-launched Explorer to run "As Administrator" (which itself is an
> irritant) in case files were hidden, but not so.
> Started manually opening up folders and I found it in the same folder as
> bcp.rll
> ..\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn
> Why the weirdness? This is the first time I've run a Microsoft OS Search
> for over 15 years on anything which returned bad results like this.
It appears that your question is more about the search in Vista, and
I'm afraid I can't help with that. The search in Vista is very mysterious,
and nothing use unless I'm in desperation.
Tools\Binn is indeed the place..
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se
Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx

没有评论:

发表评论